[Open-education] Looking for feedback and endorsement for my Wikimedia Foundation grant to work with UNESCO

John Cummings John.Cummings at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 22:33:56 UTC 2015

Hi all

I’m looking for feedback and endorsement for my Wikimedia Foundation PEG
grant to be Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/MrjohnCummings/UNESCO_Wikimedian_in_Residence>.
I’d very much appreciate if you would have a look, I want to include as
many different projects and languages as possible and connect editors in
each country with local UNESCO partners.

The big thing for me around education is working with UNESCO and it's
partners to release content under an open license and for this to act as a
model for other UN organisations. I think this will be especially
interesting to them with relation to Wikipedia Zero
<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Zero>.

I ran a pilot project that resulted in the images found in the Wikimedia
Commons category Images from the archive of UNESCO
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_archive_of_UNESCO>,
here are a few examples relevant to Wiki loves Earth:

   -
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Soda_volcano,_Oromia,_Ethiopia.jpg>

   The Soda volcano, Oromia, Ethiopia.

   -
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rubbles_of_the_cathedral_after_the_earthquake_that_hit_the_Capital_Port_au_Prince_just_before_5_pm_on_12_January_2010.jpg>

   Rubble of the cathedral after the earthquake that hit the Capital Port
   au Prince just before 5 pm on 12 January 2010.

   -
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Young_monk,_wearing_a_special_costume,_Desert_road_in_China,_July-August_1991,_Sikkim,_India.jpg>

   Young monk, wearing a special costume, July-August 1991, Sikkim, India.

   -
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sabha,6,_getting_ready_to_walk_to_school_from_her_house_on_the_borders_eastern_Gaza_strip,_where_she_and_her_family_are_still_living_in_tents.jpg>

   Sabha, 6, getting ready to walk to school from her house on the borders
   eastern Gaza strip, where she and her family are still living in tents.

   -
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mohana_fishermen_hunters_use_lures_from_real_birds_to_catch_more_birds.jpg>

   Not far from Mohenjo-Daro (or Mohenjodaro) - These Mohana
   fishermen/hunters use lures from real birds to catch more birds. They will
   either eat them or sell them. Mohenjodaro, Pakistan.

   -
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Priest_of_rock-Hewn_Churches_of_Lalibela,_a_high_place_of_Ethiopian_Christianity,_still_today_a_place_of_pilmigrage_and_devotion..jpg>

   Priest of rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela, a high place of Ethiopian
   Christianity, still today a place of pilmigrage and devotion.

If you think this is a worthwhile project please click this link
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/MrjohnCummings/UNESCO_Wikimedian_in_Residence>
and
then click the endorse button.

Many thanks

John

--
*John Cummings - **Wikimedia UK volunteer*
tweet @mrjohnc

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk