[open-heritage] History Hackday

Matt Patterson matt at reprocessed.org
Wed Dec 15 12:24:45 UTC 2010

On 14 Dec 2010, at 18:22, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> On 14 December 2010 18:03, Matt Patterson <matt at reprocessed.org> wrote:
>> On 14 Dec 2010, at 17:43, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>>
>>> This is fantastic Matt, I personally would be really interested in
>>> participating and I'm sure there are others (an OKF project that is
>>> particularly close to my heart -- though sadly still far from perfect
>>> is http://weavinghistory).
>>
>> Quick, add it to the Datasets page on the wiki! http://historyhackday.pbworks.com/Datasets
>
> Weaving history is less of a dataset and more of an app but I can
> definitely add it (wiki seems to require login ...).

It does require an account - I'm trying to avoid (a) the admin cost of spam removal and (b) ensuring (as far as possible) everyone who really wants to come can come by making it a teeny bit harder to sign up (given there's no financial cost for the attendee).

> You may interested in looking through the datasets already registered on CKAN:
>
> <http://ckan.net/package?q=history>
> <http://ckan.net/tag/history>
>
> It might even be worth curating your list of datasets for the hackday
> on CKAN :) ? (CKAN is wiki-like so anyone can edit). You could just
> agreed a tag and use that tag items. E.g. here's a list of datasets
> from a workshop a couple of years ago:
> <http://ckan.net/tag/workshop-20081101>

I have some time this afternoon scheduled for HH wiki gardening, so I'll have a look at it then...

>>> One minor thing: it looks like the event may partially clash with the
>>> UK Gov Camp 2011 <http://ukgc11.eventbrite.com/> (which I'd been
>>> planning to attend ...)
>>
>> Yeah it will clash, scheduling these things is a pain in the arse. We need a UK useful-events calendar for potential organisers to prevent clashes. Hmmmm, what would that look like?
>
> http://lanyrd.com/ ?

Lanyrd is for things that have dates, not for organisers trying to prevent clashes...

[swerves back on topic]

It occurs to me that a short CKAN pitch at the event would be appropriate.

Matt

--
  Matt Patterson | Design & Code
  <matt at reprocessed org> | http://www.reprocessed.org/