[open-heritage] Getting started with new Working Group on Open Data in Cultural Heritage

Sara Wingate Gray sara.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jun 23 03:34:13 UTC 2010

Hi all,

>> This is a new list for discussion of open data (and open content?) in
>> the cultural heritage sector. At the moment I've started this list
>> with only a handful of people and so it would be great if everyone
>> could give a sentence (!) or two briefly introducing themselves and
>> giving a sense of the main things they are interested in.

I'm Sara Wingate Gray, recently co-ordinator of OKCon and other things OKF, and member of the Public Domain and Open Bibliography working groups. I'm a PhD student at University College London with a specific research interest in public libraries, public librarianship, and international librarianship / public libraries internationally.

I'm particularly interested in opening up data in libraries and archives, the fertile landscape of cross-collaborations in the open heritage sector (aka how can libraries, museums and archives et al work better together and in conjunction *with* our users, recognising users as *makers* and *creators* too) and additionally interested in seeing all this within the framework of an international landscape.

I also run my own 'special' library: The Itinerant Poetry Library. Great to be on board, and very excited to see what we can initiate.

best,
Sara