[open-heritage] Europeana factsheet on Open Linked Data

Maarten Zeinstra mz at kl.nl
Thu Nov 25 10:58:52 UTC 2010

On Nov 24, 2010, at 11:53 , ianibbo at gmail.com wrote:

> hehe boring was perhaps the wrong word... What I *meant* to say was this:
>
> Cultural institutions are not bad at sharing already. OK, they can be
> better, but on the whole they are pretty good. I'd say they aren't bad
> at sharing digitally either, compared to some domains anyway. Most of
> the arguments for linked data and open licenses go something like
> linked data + open licenses -> data sharing. But I've encountered a
> fair few people in the domain (I'm not saying I'm one of them, just
> that I've detected this) who have spotted that we do tend to affirm
> the consequent in this argument, by saying that licensing and linked
> data are necessary for sharing. But the truth is we've come a long way
> so far with simple sharing without explicit licenses and without the
> semantic web (Thats before we get into conflating linked data and the
> semantic web). The fact is, sharing is a prerequisite for the need for
> open licenses and linked data. The issue is that once an institution
> has invested in export services, they are often reticent to invest a
> second time to change those routines (Go back and add explicit
> licenses, use linking engines and algorithms,  etc).  What we need is
> to influence people to start and build in these explicit license
> clauses in their metadata schemes at the source level, rather than the
> aggregation level.
I agree in part,

Cultural Heritage institutes do share, many of these are bilateral agreements to share repositories of metadata, bibliographic data being amongst the most popular.
The efforts to unlock this data structurally with LOD will be beneficial to both the institute that unlocks as well as the users of that data. An aggregator like Europeana provides the architecture, technology and infrastructure to help these institutes see and reap the benefits of LOD. I see your argument that these efforts should not only be top-down but also bottom-up, and I am very interested in examples of initiatives that helps CHIs to unlock their data.

> So, in pondering a clear guide to open licenses in CH (And we should
> probably do a wiki page for why cultural institutions need linked data
> / semantic web?) what I was trying to do was find some really good
> atomic (exciting?) arguments for moving forward with open licenses and
> linked data which aren't predicated on needing them to share data.

Our younger generation live on the internet and we often come across the argument that "if it is not online it does not exists". This sentence should actually be "If it can't be found than it does not exist." This directly plays on the relevancy of CHIs in the digital world. A world where crowdsources wikipedia is becoming more relevant and authoritative on subject where CHIs have a far more (and accurate) information to contribute. LOD is not only a way for these institutes to remain relevant but also to reclaim their place of authority in digital world.

Note that these arguments are not based on sharing but on exercising their function in a changing environment.

> Now... I'm more than prepared to accept that at some point in the near
> future data sharing will be predicated on open licenses and linked
> data. Right now tho, I worry we will turn people off rather than on by
> telling them they need open licenses and linked data to share. I worry
> that people will think we're trying to sell them something they don't
> need.

I agree there are many misconceptions and fears concerning this topic

> It's OK if you're on the "Inside" of the open data community,
> but outsude "What extra do I get by adding a license property and
> setting it to an open license" is a question I don't feel I've
> answered really well for myself yet (In this domain).

Licensing should also not be used as an argument but as an instrument for reaching a goal. Licenses are by definition facilitating. Wouldn't you agree?

> With apols for rambling.

Best,

Maarten Zeinstra