[open-heritage] OCLC recommends Open Data Commons Attribution License (ODC-BY) for WorldCat data

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 10:37:46 UTC 2012

Thanks, Joris,

Quoting Joris Pekel <okfn.joris.pekel at googlemail.com> on Wed, 8 Aug
2012 10:54:19 +0200:

> OCLC <http://www.oclc.org/uk/en/default.htm> announced yesterday that they
> are recommending the Open Data Commons Attribution License

> Why not go
> CC0<http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/>
> /PDDL <http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/>

Or, "why not go OdBL, with the full ShareAlike clause?"
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/

( sorry )

The use of ODC-BY makes sense to me here, in that it has very similar
terms to the Open Government License (in the UK). We want attribution,
say data providers, while hesitant about the uncomfortable virality of
ShareAlike (or unclear, with some reason, about its benefits). We dont
want to worry about interoperability.

Why not? Who would gain? Who might lose out? Perhaps this line of
thinking is too Anglo-Saxon. Go Europeana!

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.