[open-heritage] PSI directive & GLAM

Erik Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:41:39 UTC 2012

It is my understanding that there will be a majority on one of our
amendments in JURI on Europeana style metadata licensing.

The sticky point seems to be what the public bodies
hosting/holding/producing the data are supposed to do with the money
they need/generate. As far as I can see this is a traditional left-right
issue, i.e. how is a "public body" supposed to be financed in the first
place, and also, what should they do? (if there are private players who
can do it better, why have a public body at all?)

In JURI, we have tabled an amendment re-cycling the principle laid down
in the Orphan Works Directive.

I expect negotiations on that issue, but the risk for MS competence
carve-out is huge (art. 1.5 ODW style).

The chart on http://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/PSI_Directive is
awesome but please don't show it to MEPs! :-)

(if they knew, they will be expecting staff to deliver all reports in
that format...)

Best regards.

//Erik