[open-heritage] PSI directive & GLAM

Erik Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:25:56 UTC 2012

Sorry Amelia, of course I know you are! :-)

The negotiations in JURI did not result in a compromise. Our amendment
to re-use the Orphan Works formula will be voted separately. Here's the
OWD article:

    Article 6 - Permitted uses of orphan works

    [...]

    2.  The organisations referred to in Article 1(1) shall use an
    orphan work in accordance with paragraph 1 of this Article only in
    order to achieve aims related to their public-interest missions, in
    particular the preservation of, the restoration of, and the
    provision of cultural and educational access to, works and
    phonograms contained in their collection . The organisations may
    generate revenues in the course of such uses, /*for the exclusive
    purpose of covering their costs of digitising orphan works and
    making them available to the public.*/
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=TA&language=EN&reference=P7-TA-2012-349

Please note (again) that this is an amendment to JURI's Opinion (not the
real thing in ITRE):

Amendment   2**

*Christian Engström, Eva Lichtenberger*

on behalf of the Verts/ALE Group

*Proposal for a directive*

*Article 1 -- paragraph 1 -- point 6 -- point 1*

Directive 2003/98/EC

Article 6 -- paragraph 2

/Text proposed by the Commission/

/Amendment/

2. /*In exceptional cases, in particular*/where public sector bodies
generate a substantial part of their operating costs relating to the
performance of their public service tasks from the exploitation of their
intellectual property rights, public sector bodies may be allowed to
charge for the re-use of documents over and above the marginal costs,
according to objective, transparent and verifiable criteria, provided
this is in the public interest and subject to the approval of the
/*independent*/authority referred to in Article 4(4), and without
prejudice to paragraphs 3 and 4 of this Article.

2. *Where* public sector bodies generate a substantial part of their
operating costs relating to the performance of their public service
tasks from the exploitation of their intellectual property rights,
public sector bodies may be allowed to charge for the re-use of
documents over and above the marginal costs, according to objective,
transparent and verifiable criteria /*for the exclusive purpose of
covering their costs of digitising documents and making them available
to the public*/, provided this is in the public interest and subject to
the approval of the authority referred to in Article 4(4), and without
prejudice to paragraphs 3 and 4 of this Article.

/Justification/

/Analogous to Article 6.2 in the Orphan Works Directive as adopted
Thursday, 13 September 2012 (provisional edition P7_TA-PROV(2012)0349)./

Best regards.

//Erik