[OpenGLAM] OpenGLAM principles v.0.2. - input welcome!

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Mon Apr 22 10:42:13 UTC 2013

Besides principles, any campaign or movement needs to have some theory of change and power. Who can decide on adopting the principles and how to move them?

Many mid-ranking staff at cultural institutions have an instinctive understanding of the value of openness and access, but the boards are increasingly infested with corporate types tasked with looking at the bottom-line.

The top level policies of GLAMs depend on other institutions. For example, in the British Library this is the Department (Ministry) for Culture Media and Sport, which sets direction in a 3 year funding agreement. There is nothing there on openness and very little on access. Dealing with politics is unavoidable at least in Europe where public monies provide the bulk of the funds. Maybe in the USA is about influencing rich philanthropists to include openness criteria in their grants and donations, as happens with research.

Best, Javier

--
Javier Ruiz
javier at openrightsgroup.org
+44(0)7877 911 412
@javierruiz
www.OpenRightsGroup.org
Winners of Liberty's Human Rights Campaigner of the Year Award 2012