[OpenGLAM] OpenGLAM principles v.0.2. - input welcome!

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:34:07 UTC 2013

With regards to whether or not to fork the document, my proposal would be
to go ahead and do that, and think of each version as a sort of translation
layer between two sets of possible stakeholders.  If nothing else, assuming
the principles aren't on a nearby delivery deadline, the process will help
the whole team to parse the issues at hand and the politics of the
audiences involved. (This would also let you take a long look at the
wikimedia manifesto by asking, 'which audience would something like this
translate best to?')

Every potential audience is both deserving of, and expectant of, respect.
 If that is remembered when phrasing to each audience, then helping even
antagonists to journey to becoming advocates will be a lot easier.

As a simple example, we could take the audience of sympathetic but
less-powerful advocates working on the front lines within cultural
institutions.  Curators, catalogers, etc.  What document would help them
advocate to an obvious audience for them: upper management, possibly with
dual or triple responsibility to their organization, their upper civic
management (ie city government, academic institution, etc), and then
perhaps their foundation or advisory council.

It's more work, but the attempt to draw up a grid with potential audiences
would be very useful even if it only resulted in a better understanding of
what a document had to accomplish.  Aside from hierarchical position, the
other important axis might be whether that audience type is advocate,
indifferent, or antagonistic.  Once a comprehensive audience type grid
exists, the team could then triage and say, if they had to, "Ok, of all
these, the translation layer between in-organization advocates and their
directors (or whichever) is most pressing, so we'll prioritize that doc
first."

- Heath