[OpenGLAM] OpenGLAM Principles v0.5 and FAQ

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Wed Apr 24 19:39:47 UTC 2013

Il 24/04/2013 17:41, Sam Leon ha scritto:

> We've tried to address all of them in this next iteration and we hope
> this next version will spark a similar amount of debate and comment.

Hi Sam,
good work. Some small suggestions.

Preamble.

"Galleries, libraries, archives and museums have an important role in
supporting the advance of humanity’s knowledge." I would say they have a
"fundamental" role (I may be biased , I work at a museum). In this way,
an obvious truth is declared as the bridge/gate for those who believe
that is true and want to go on reading.

"When we say that a collection or data set is “open” we mean that it is
complies with the Open Definition, which can be summed up in the
statement that: ... [OKD]" I think that it is important to explain a bit
more in detail in layman terms "attribution" (giving credit) and
"share-alike" (..).

"It is important to bear in mind that applying an open license to data
and content is not the end of the story." it could be better phrased
"The first step to make a collection open is to apply an open license /
terms of use, but that is where the story begins."

3. Public domain reproductions

I don't believe that all professionals outside of the library sector are
familiar with the PD, especially if non-texual works are the focus. A
short explanation should be given.

I hope that we can slowly make this document into a reference for all of
us pushing from inside. As soon as a stable version is ready, I will go
on and translate it.

Ciao
steko

--