[OpenGLAM] [GLAM-US] Getty's James Cuno: Advocate for Open Content

Dominic McDevitt-Parks mcdevitd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 19:46:52 UTC 2013

This looks like a really promising development. Reading further, in the
open content FAQ, <http://www.getty.edu/about/opencontentfaq.html>, he
links to are the following (cherry-picked) statements:

*Are there copyright restrictions for the Getty's open content images?
> *No. The first release includes 4,600 images of works of art believed to
> be in the public domain—in other words, works not protected by copyright
> under U.S. law. The Getty does not claim copyright in digital images of
> public domain artworks.

*May I crop, overprint, or otherwise alter images I've downloaded as part
> of the Getty's Open Content Program?
> *Yes. There are no restrictions on the use of open content images.

*Are images made available through the Getty's Open Content Program
> approved for commercial use? I'd like to use one for my company's
> website/product/brochure.
> *Yes. However, please do not suggest or imply that the Getty endorses,
> approves of, or participated in your company, product, service, or project.

This is definitely a promising development! It sounds like they really get
it.

Dominic