[OpenGLAM] Getty's James Cuno: Advocate for Open Content

David Farneth DFarneth at getty.edu
Mon Aug 12 20:05:26 UTC 2013

RE: the Getty Vocabularies.  The Getty has begun a phased, two-year project to publish the Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data.  More information can be found here:
http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/lod/index.html

David

David Farneth
Assistant Director
The Getty Research Institute
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, CA  90049-1688

office: (310) 440-7076
mobile: (310) 270-5280
fax: (310) 440-7783 (fax)
dfarneth at getty.edu
Assistant: Cassandra Heiser: (310) 440-7433

Subscribe to GRI e-News ( http://www.getty.edu/research/institute/e_news/index.html ) Subscribe to GRI e-News.

Follow us on Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/GettyResearchInstitute

>>> Lori Phillips <lori.byrd.phillips at gmail.com> 8/12/2013 12:37 PM >>>
Hello all,

I was very excited to see this blog post come out of the Getty today, from
CEO James Cuno, who is both a polarizing and respected force in the museum
world. In the U.S. we've been trying to encourage the Getty to release
their Vocabularies into the public domain for years. In my last effort, I
had the Dallas Museum of Art's Rob Stein tell me he would be sure to
"strongly encourage" this as soon as he could, because there was really no
reason why it shouldn't be. So that is a great win for us, in addition to
the fact that the Getty is a new proponent and advocate for open culture in
general.

http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/open-content-an-idea-whose-time-has-come/

I'm also personally quite proud that the recent Horizon Report: Museum
Edition was cited as his rationale, thanks to the fact that Open Content
was included as a near-term horizon in the 2012 report. We worked hard to
get that included this year, since Open Content has been on the bubble in
past Horizon Reports. It's also exciting to see the Walters listed first
among Cuno's listing of forward thinking institutions in the US who have
paved the way for open culture.

This blog should prove useful for those still needing convincing - enjoy!

Lori

--
Lori Byrd Phillips
Digital Marketing Content Coordinator