[OpenGLAM] mobile scanner

Dominic McDevitt-Parks mcdevitd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:45:24 UTC 2013

Thanks for the mention, Sarah. The US National Archives does have a plan in
the works for a mobile scanning program, too, based on the "Scannebago"
concept first proposed at a DPLA conference (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scannebago). The plan was at least to take it
around to NARA's many regional archival facilities around the US, but also
to hopefully involve state or other local archives. I am no longer working
on the project, but I know the Office of Innovation was at the point of
securing funding late last year when I was there, so I would hope it
happens sometime this year.

In my view, the biggest obstacle (aside from necessary funding), and the
thing that separates the mobile scanning idea from the other "hack bus"
concepts, will always be that most cultural institutions do not have a
ready procedure in place for volunteer-contributed digital objects or
metadata. And the object of any such project should be to work with the
institution so that the scans are actually going into an online collections
catalog with institutional authority and standard metadata formats and not
just being sent to the Internet Archive or Wikimedia Commons (though they
could certainly end up their since they are open).

Dominic

On 14 February 2013 14:16, Sarah Stierch
<sarah.stierch at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'sarah.stierch at gmail.com');>