[OpenGLAM] mobile scanner

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:36:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Dominic McDevitt-Parks <mcdevitd at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Thanks for the mention, Sarah. The US National Archives does have a plan
> in the works for a mobile scanning program, too, based on the "Scannebago"
> concept first proposed at a DPLA conference (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scannebago).

The National Genealogical Society had an RV touring around the U.S.
scanning family bibles and other papers of historical significance in
2002-2003, so this isn't a concept that the DPLA "first proposed" by a long
shot.

I think there's a niche for mobile scanning units, but I'd echo Lars'
caution to first figure out what you're trying to achieve.  In addition to
the options he mentioned, another useful thing to enable people to build
and use their own scanner locally by coming up with plans, software,
procedures, etc.  This is the approach being taken by the Decapod project
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Decapod

As far as the NARA regional centers go, there really aren't that many of
them (~20) and they're all controlled by a single organization, so they
don't really seem like the best fit for an ad hoc mobile scanning program.
 Why not give them a scanner apiece and have them become regional scanning
centers?

Tom