[OpenGLAM] mobile scanner

Dominic McDevitt-Parks mcdevitd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:33:32 UTC 2013

On 15 February 2013 13:36, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Dominic McDevitt-Parks <
> mcdevitd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the mention, Sarah. The US National Archives does have a plan
>> in the works for a mobile scanning program, too, based on the "Scannebago"
>> concept first proposed at a DPLA conference (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scannebago).
>>

> The National Genealogical Society had an RV touring around the U.S.
> scanning family bibles and other papers of historical significance in
> 2002-2003, so this isn't a concept that the DPLA "first proposed" by a long
> shot.

I didn't think it was a contest. My "first proposed" was just a specific
reference to the Scannebago idea that I linked, not an attempt to assign
credit for anything.

As far as the NARA regional centers go, there really aren't that many of
> them (~20) and they're all controlled by a single organization, so they
> don't really seem like the best fit for an ad hoc mobile scanning program.
>  Why not give them a scanner apiece and have them become regional scanning
> centers?

Sure, those are not mutually exclusive possibilities. There's no single
formula that a mobile scanning unit needs to "fit" to. Maybe you distribute
scanners by taking them to the facilities in a tricked out van designed to
garner public attention taking advantage of social media, and help generate
a volunteer community for the scanning. If the people in the van are also
people experienced in hosting community scanning events, then you can also
distribute the expertise along with the equipment by having them train
staff or host the on-site events.

Dominic