[OpenGLAM] City Archives Amsterdam

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at okfn.org
Tue Jan 22 22:43:21 UTC 2013

This is a complex situation, and a subject that I have had extensive
conversations with GLAM professionals around the world (though mainly in
the US). I am familiar with museums that charge great amounts for images
and make a very small amount of money from it in contrast to their
multimillion dollar endowments. I've worked with a small GLAM that can
fund a part time position devoted to digitization with the amount of
money they make (say...$25k) from selling image rights, many which are
public domain images.

Fifty cents is a pretty tiny contribution for the sake of what it is -
these two institutions I'm mentioning above charge $50-$100+ for images.
What I think would be nice to see - allow the public access to the
images, and then upon wanting to download an image, ask for a donation
to go towards digitization practices, suggested donation 50 cents - I'm
sure people would donate a lot more that the suggested amount and feel
less like they're "buying" a public domain image.

As OpenGLAMers it's our responsibility to continue educating the public
- donors - about the importance of digitization an freeing content. All
the more reason why case studies are so important.

-Sarah

On 1/22/13 8:21 AM, Joris Pekel wrote:
> Dear OpenGLAM list,
>
> I would like to hear your opinion on the following.
>
> The City Archives of Amsterdam has just published some great results
> of their crowdsourcing project. Via the webpage velehanden.nl
> <http://velehanden.nl> (many hands) around 1600 volunteers have
> indexed more than 300000 archival records from their militia register.
> The city archive had already scanned the records and now with the help
> of the volunteers these can also be searched.  (sidenote: the active
> volunteers could get points that they could spend to access a digital
> copy for free)
>
> At the same time, it is for me as a normal person not possible to get
> free access to these records. I can now search very well (and I think
> I found a record about my great-grandfather there) but I can not
> access the image unless I pay 50 cents. The records are old enough to
> all be in the public domain.
>
> The reasoning of the city archive for the paywall is that that by
> selling these scans, they have money for more digitisation efforts.
>
> Now, this paywall goes against all of my 'open' feelings, especially
> now the metadata has been crowdsourced and the images are PD. Still,
> finding money for digitisation sure is a difficult task and new
> business models still need to be found.
>
> It just feels like such a shame to lock this great material and
> volunteer effort away from the world, and think about the missed
> potential for researchers..
>
> Please share your thoughts. If possible, I will definitely adress them
> to the persons responsible.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Joris Pekel
> Community Coordinator
> Open Knowledge Foundation
> http://okfn.org <http://okfn.org/>
> http://twitter.com/jpekel

Sarah Stierch
US OpenGLAM Coordinator, Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.okfn.org