[OpenGLAM] Getty Research Institute adds images to Open Content Program

Sarah Sherman SSherman at getty.edu
Wed Oct 16 00:06:42 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the Getty Research Institute has added
5,400 images to the Getty’s Open Content Program.

Please take a look at this post on today’s Getty Iris blog:
http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/5400-images-from-getty-research-institutes-special-collections-now-available-as-open-content/

and see the press release below:

Getty Releases Second Batch of Open Content Images, More than Doubling
Number Available to the Public
October 15, 2013

Getty Research Institute adds 5,400 images to Open Content Program,
which provides images available for use without restrictions
( tel:693092620674)  30835 21600
( tel:3083521600) LOS ANGELES—The Getty today released 5,400
high-resolution images from the Getty Research Institute (GRI) through
its Open Content Program
(
http://search.getty.edu/gateway/search?q=&cat=highlight&f=%22Open+Content+Images%22&rows=10&srt=a&dir=s&pg=1)
, more than doubling the number available to the public for use without
fees or restriction, bringing the total of available images to roughly
10,000.

“We are delighted to include these images from the Getty Research
Institute in our Open Content Program, which makes these images
available without charge to be used for any purpose,” said Getty
President and CEO Jim Cuno. “We saw a phenomenal outpouring of
creativity and enthusiasm from the public in response to our initial
release of J. Paul Getty Museum images; we can’t wait to see what kind
of scholarship will spring from this release of Getty Research Institute
images.”

The Getty Research Institute images join approximately 4,600 images
from the J. Paul Getty Museum that were released in August through the
first phase of the Open Content Program. Immediately after the initial
release, traffic to the Getty Search Gateway, the tool that enables
access to Open Content images, skyrocketed from an average of 200 visits
per day to a peak of 22,000. Within the first two months, there were
more than 100,000 downloads of Open Content images, compared to an
average of 121 image requests a month prior to Open Content.

“The Getty Research Institute's vaults hold rare books, prints,
photographs, manuscripts and sketchbooks that provide perspectives on
artistic production, intellectual exchange, and creative collaboration,”
said Thomas W. Gaehtgens, director of the GRI. “We hope that by making
these images available without restrictions, we will be stimulating a
similar kind of intellectual exchange, initiating scholarship and
discussion and increasing awareness of the GRI’s rare and unique
collections in art history and visual culture.”

The 5,400 newly available images from the Research Institute include
drawings and watercolors, artists’ sketchbooks, rare prints from the
16th through the 18th century, 19th-century architectural drawings of
cultural landmarks and 19th-century photographs of the Middle East and
Asia.

The Getty plans to continue to add images, until eventually all
applicable Getty-owned or public domain images are available, without
restrictions, online. The Museum and the GRI are continuing to identify
applicable images, and the Getty Conservation Institute is also working
to make available images from its projects worldwide.

Prior to the Open Content Program, the Getty Research Institute made
high-resolution images available upon request and granted specific use
permissions with terms and conditions. Now, while the Getty requests
information about the intended use, it will not restrict use of
available images, and no fees apply for any use of images made available
for direct download on the website.

“This project goes to the heart of the Getty’s mission to share its
collections and research as widely as possible,” said Cuno. “We look
forward to seeing the ingenious, creative and thoughtful ways these
images are being used.”
For more information on the Getty’s Open Content Program, visit:
http://b
logs.getty.edu/iris/5400-images-from-getty-research-institutes-special-collections-now-available-as-open-content.

Sarah ShermanReference Librarian Getty Research Institute1200 Getty
Center DriveLos Angeles, CA
90049310-440-6698www.getty.edu/researchLibrary Access blog
( http://grilibrary.wordpress.com/)  Facebook
( https://www.facebook.com/GettyResearchInstitute)  │ YouTube
( http://www.youtube.com/gettyresearch)  │ GRI e-News
( http://www.getty.edu/research/institute/e_news/index.html)  │ The
Getty Iris
( http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/)   Tell us what you think of our
Facebook page
( https://www.facebook.com/GettyResearchInstitute)  and receive 20% off
any Getty publication by completing this short survey
( https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GRIFacebookSurvey) , We’d like to make
it as relevant and useful as possible for you. Thank you!