[OpenGLAM] unsubscribe

Bree Burns bree at blue-telescope.com
Wed Sep 11 21:17:39 UTC 2013

From: open-glam-bounces at lists.okfn.org [mailto:open-glam-bounces at lists.okfn.org] On Behalf Of Bettina Cousineau
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:53 PM
To: open-glam at lists.okfn.org
Subject: [OpenGLAM] Content Trafficking v.3

Beat's link led to this language which (for me) captures the problem absolutely: "This article explores the extent to which museums have strained the limits of copyright claims and indeed have restructured concepts of ownership and control in ways that curtail the availability and use of art images far beyond anything that may be grounded in the law".

 "museums ... have restructured concepts of ownership and control" is the key - here is THE slippery slope!

Ed's good point that institutions "struggle just to understand how titanically the digital landscape has changed" makes it easy to understand how decision-making (whether sound or sloppy) occurs.
Ewan - thanks for freemium - hadn't heard that one.
+1 to Molly
and I just saw Heath's "best practices [document] for preserving public domain status for the public good" which might be the best outcome of this discussion so far. I'm in.

Also, I'm collecting these comments in a word doc for easier reading and I can post later, somewhere.
[https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif]
Bettina