[OpenGLAM] Content Trafficking v.3

Bettina Cousineau bdcousineau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 20:52:46 UTC 2013

Beat's link led to this language which (for me) captures the problem
absolutely: "This article explores the extent to which *museums* have
strained the limits of copyright claims and indeed *have* *restructured
concepts of ownership and control* in ways that curtail the availability
and use of art images far beyond anything that may be grounded in the law".

 "museums ... have restructured concepts of ownership and control" is the
key - here is THE slippery slope!

Ed's good point that institutions "struggle just to understand how
titanically the digital landscape has changed" makes it easy to understand
how decision-making (whether sound or sloppy) occurs.

Ewan - thanks for freemium - hadn't heard that one.

+1 to Molly

and I just saw Heath's "best practices [document] for preserving public
domain status for the public good" which might be the best outcome of this
discussion so far. I'm in.

Also, I'm collecting these comments in a word doc for easier reading and I
can post later, somewhere.

Bettina