[OpenGLAM] Content Trafficking v.3

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 19:30:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com>wrote:

> 5) *National Archives and Records Administration* mentions it, on page
> iv, but this is a brief report. Their complete performance report is so
> gigantic and my internet connection stinks, so I'm too lazy to wait for it
> to load. It could be mentioned in there, I figure it would be since they
> invested a decent chunk of money for the work.[4][5]

The full report doesn't appear to have any additional detail (unless they
described it without using the string "wiki").  Here's the full quote from
the complete report:

"Developed a proactive relationship with Wikipedia, as part of our growing
online
presence. By having the permanent records of the Federal Government
available
through Wikipedia, we hope to reach children, genealogists, educators,
researchers, and members of the public who may never have come to the
National Archives or seen our website to view our holdings."

Note, however, that that's the FY2011 report and there's also a FY2012
report available [7] which says:

"We continue to push into new social media venues as ways to make the
information we
manage discoverable by the public in online places they frequent. Social
media tools also
provide ways to communicate and deliver timely information to the public
and find out what
the public is interested in; we see these efforts as a way to be responsive
to the call for open
government. In FY 2012, we continued our collaboration with representatives
from
Wikimedia Foundation and hosted a workshop for Wikimedians active in
outreach to cultural
institutions in the United States. Our Wikipedian in Residence worked to
make NARA
information and records discoverable in Wikipedia, a place many people look
for answers or
start research. Not only did we continue expanding our arsenal of social
media and
networking tools such as YouTube, FlickrCommons, Twitter, and Facebook,
blogs, wikis, and
IdeaScale, but we took on new opportunities, becoming one of the first
Federal agencies to
develop a presence in Foursquare and Tumblr

"The Citizen Archivist Dashboard also encourages individuals to share
their knowledge about topics related to the records on the National
Archives on *Our Archives *
*Wiki* and on *Wikipedia*. As a result of Wikipedians, more than 90,000
digital copies for our catalog
are available in the Wikimedia Commons. This relationship is changing the
way we think about
our own archival work. Our visibility on social media outlets such as
YouTube, Facebook,
Flickr, Twitter, Tumblr, FourSquare and numerous blogs, recognizes the
importance of
proactively going where the public is instead of waiting for the public to
find us. We will
continue with these best practices as well as monitor the environment to
identify new ways to
improve open government.

> [4]
> http://www.archives.gov/about/plans-reports/performance-accountability/2011/par-summary.pdf