[OpenGLAM] Fwd: [GLAM] Funding a new gear for WM photographer Poco a poco

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:21:29 UTC 2014

See below!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Santiago Navarro Sanz <wikimillars at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Subject: [GLAM] Funding a new gear for WM photographer Poco a poco
To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l at lists.wikimedia.org>, Wiki
Loves Monuments <wikilovesmonuments at lists.wikimedia.org>, Cultural Partners
<cultural-partners at wikimedia.ch>, GLAM <glam at lists.wikimedia.org>

Sorry for crossposting:
Help one of the best volunteer photographers in Wikimedia Commons restore
his stolen equipment.

*Diego Delso is known as Poco a poco
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Poco_a_poco> in Wikimedia Commons*.
In case you don't know, Wikimedia Commons is a media file repository where
anyone can share freely-licensed content with everyone. *Wikipedia uses
Wikimedia Commons as it's image repository*, so, in fact, most of the times
you view an image in Wikipedia, you are actually viewing a Wikimedia
Commons image.

While Diego is just one of the thousands of Wikimedia Commons volunteers,
he is a very special one: *he's one of the main Commons contributors ever*,
having some amazing records, such as being the user with the highest amount
of Featured Pictures ever
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Featured_pictures_by_creator> (153
images) and also the one with the highest amount of quality images ever,
with 5,777 Quality Images
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Quality_images_by_User:Poco_a_poco>.
That's an awesome amount of very high quality material, that Diego has
given to every living person for free.

Never heard about *Wikimedia Commons*? It's the repository that hosts
all*multimedia
files* that you can see (and download) in *Wikipedia *and all other
Wikimedia projects. Diego's files are used in those projects and are also
available for everybody else with a free license.

Furthermore, Diego has contributed in Wikimedia Commons in other ways. One
of them is by supporting (by being an *organizer* or a *jury*) two of the
most important*photographic contests* in the Wikimedia movement (and in the
world!): Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Earth.

Sadly, while Diego was in Buenos Aires after participating in a Wikimedia
Iberoamerican Encounter with other Wikimedia volunteers, *he got his
equipment stolen*. In this unfortunate event, he didn't only lost his
camera, zoom lenses and laptop, but also *every single picture he took
during his 2 weeks trip in South America*, which he was going to upload to
Wikimedia Commons so they could be used by everyone, everywhere.

As Wikimedia volunteers and Diego's friends, we could not stand aside of
this, so we decided to help him to *restore his equipment*. *You can help,
too*, by contributing to this campaign!

Our goal is simple: to collect enough money to help Diego to buy exactly
the same equipment he lost.

All the gear he lost in Argentina is described below, with a reference to
the price from Amazon for the same equipment.

TipoModeloPreçoCamera bodyCanon EOS 5D Mark II
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II>$ 2,694.00
<http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mark-Frame-Camera-MODEL/dp/B001G5ZTLS>Objective
fisheye f/4.0Canon EF 8-15mm L USM
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_8-15mm_lens>$ 1,349.00
<http://www.amazon.com/Canon-8-15mm-Fisheye-Ultra-Wide-Cameras/dp/B0040X4OZU/>Objective
wide-angle f/4.0Canon EF 17-40mm L USM
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_17-40mm_lens>$ 839.00
<http://www.amazon.com/Canon-17-40mm-Ultra-Angle-Cameras/dp/B00009R6WO/>Objective
wide-angle to telephoto f/4.0Canon EF 24-105mm L IS UVM
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_24-105mm_lens>$ 1,149.00
<http://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-105mm-USM-Lens-Cameras/dp/B000AZ57M6/>LaptopAcer
Aspire 1810T <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_Notebook>$ 600.00
<http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-1810T-Series.21471.0.html>Total$
6,631.00

Converted to Euro (since Diego is based in Europe) that goes to 5,300 Euro
+ 200 euro of Indiegogo fee, which is our target to collect.

This campaign is runned on indiegogo.com and the link is
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/funding-a-new-gear-for-wm-photographer-poco-a-poco#home

You can use the short link  http://igg.me/at/pocoapoco in social networks

Thank you

Santi Navarro

Sarah Stierch

-----

Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.

www.sarahstierch.com