[OpenGLAM] Book scanners?

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 22:30:13 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:

> On 16 February 2014 17:50, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> > If you cooperate with the Internet Archive, they offer
> > to scan for $0.10 per page, on the condition that the
> > digitized works can be openly published online. If the
> > pound is $1.50, this will buy you 15 pages per pound.
> > They do this at a loss: The money covers the staff to
> > do the scanning, but the equipment, administration
> > and storage is already paid for by the Internet Archive.
> >
> > I've heard of several projects that budget £1-5 per page
> > for digitization and I think some projects can be done
> > for £0.10 per page, but not £0.02 per page.
>
> We should probably look at the Internet Archive deal again.

There's more info here: https://archive.org/details/partnerdocs
The current rate is actually $3/book + $0.10/page.

The ATIV scanner looks like a close cousin of the Internet Archive Scribe
stations.  IA had said that they were going to open source the design and
software, but I don't see any indication that they ever followed through.

IA apparently has a new table top design, the TT Scribe.  You could
probably replicate it from the video, but a dimensioned drawing would be a
lot easier.

Series:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3Attscribe&sort=-publicdate
Assembles in 5 min: https://archive.org/details/TtAssemblyIMG9233