[OpenGLAM] One Hundred Million Creative Commons Flickr Images for Research

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Wed Jun 25 15:35:43 UTC 2014

Perhaps I just don't understand the point of this, but it seems to me
that Flickr already has an image search capability at least as good (if
not better than) Google's... and I suspect Google has done something to
limit the incidence of Flickr returns in its own search method.

My privacy hackles are raised by:

"the task is to build a system capable of accurately predicting where in
the world the photos and videos were taken without using the longitude
and latitude coordinates."

Guess its time to only limit cc images purged of metadata or maybe to
stop posting cc images to flickr at all.

Personally I think it would be much more useful and cost Flickr much
less to add the capability for users to post CC0 and public domain
marked images.

Regards,
Laurel L. Russwurm

Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/> §