[OpenGLAM] Seeking panelists for a submitted proposal at MCN 2014

Sarah Stierch sarah at sarahstierch.com
Mon May 5 18:07:11 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I have submitted a proposal for MCN 2014 (October in Texas) which is titled "Being Small, Thinking Big." I will be facilitating a panel of upwards of 4 GLAM professionals who will give brief lightning talks about programs that they have implemented on at their institutions which call into all or one of the following categories: small museum (under 1 million USD budget), small staff, small department budget. Then, a conversation will be held including examination of best practices, challenges, successes, and how these programs can be replicated at other institutions and interaction with the audience.

These programs can range from anything involving technology - from creating an application to be used on an iPad in the museum, to digitizing projects, GLAM-Wiki partnerships, website launch and redesign, etc. As long as it focuses on small staff, budget or institutional size.

The motivation for this panel was triggered by the work I do as a consultant and the struggles I see my clients and friends having who work with limited resources. Museum conferences are often full of fabulous presentations (seriously) about the amazing work being done at often large scale institutions that leave smaller institutions finding little that can be replicable or implemented. So we aim to change that :)

I am seeking two additional panelists at this time, anywhere in the world, who would like to participate and will be able to attend the conference in October (if our proposal is accepted). You don't have to necessarily be employed by a museum, but, you should be involved in a program or project that was implemented with one, or can be implemented by museums (i.e. project done at a library can be done at a museum)

Right now our line up includes:

-Me (facilitator)
-Adrianne Russell, Public Programs Coordinator, Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art. (she will be talking about digital public programming)
-Sarah R. Smith, DIrector of Marketing & Communications, Reynolda House Museum of American Art (she will be talking about their website design and relaunch)

You can learn more about the conference here: http://www.mcn.edu/mcn-2014-dallas

And of course, email me OFFLIST with any additional questions. I'm also happy to take referrals - so if you know someone you think would be a great addition to "Being Small, Thinking Big" please tell me and I'll reach out.

If accepted, this panel will be energetic, fun, and full of passion and love for the work we do (and anyone who knows me knows I have plenty of all of that :) ) . I hope you'll consider being involved,

Sarah Stierch
-----
Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.
www.sarahstierch.com