[OpenGLAM] New case study: Making impact on a small budget

Joris Pekel jpekel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:13:33 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

This weekend at the GLAM-WIKI conference I presented a new paper: Making
impact on a small budget - How the Livrustkammaren och Skoklosters slott
med Stiftelsen Hallwylska museet (LSH) shared their collection with the
world

It is a follow up of the Rijksmuseum case study. Besides that LSH did some
really interesting and inspiring things, I also chose them as they are a
much smaller institution than the Rijksmuseum. After that paper was
published it got some questions if their model could be copied to
institutions with a much smaller budget.

LSH consists of three museums and has a total of about 50 members in staff.
With a project budget of about 30,000 euros they managed to open up their
collection, improve their metadata, build a new web interface, make all of
their works (where possible) available under an open license or marked it
as public domain, and uploaded it to Wikimedia Commons.

The impact of that has been quite amazing. For the first time their
collection travelled wide outside of Sweden and they are now one of the
prime examples used when talking about working with your digital
collection. It has also resulted in a MUSE award and in general a 'great
sense of pride'.

Besides describing the process and the results, the paper also looks into
some copyright questions around 2D and 3D digitisation and how the museum
decided to end their image sale as it was not profitable. It also includes
the transcript of the interview I did with Karin Nilsson, head of the
digital department which is well worth the read.

Full blogpost and the paper can be found here:
http://pro.europeana.eu/blogpost/making-a-big-impact-on-a-small-budget-how-the-lsh-museums-share

If you have questions or comments, do get in touch!

Cheers,

Joris