[OpenGLAM] Crowdsourcing Arcade Machine - Game Jam

Ben O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:51:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm Ben O'Steen (British Library Labs) and I've been working on a project
with Adam Crymble to do a crowdsourcing experiment - can a 1980s style
machine be a useful way to gather crowdsourced information? Will people
even understand what this machine is for?

After we released the million illustrations, maps and pictures onto Flickr
Commons, we've been working to curate this practically unknown set of
images. The response and help we've had from the open community has been
fantastic and wonderful! Truly unexpected!

We have had hundreds of thousands of tags added to these images but we've
still only tapped into a fraction of the content that is there. This may be
a good starting point to experiment with. I've just written a post about
the hardware we have built:

http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digital-scholarship/2015/09/what-makes-the-crowdsourcing-arcade-machine-tick.html

It's a tricky subject, and a hard problem. Is it possible for someone's
gameplay to help us all understand and explore these (and other)
collections better? Can we get new information at all? Can we validate tags
applied to images or sounds with a push of the joystick?

Ben