[OpenGLAM] [WMF Legal] German collections digitized in the public domain

Bartholmei, Stephan S.Bartholmei at dnb.de
Mon Sep 28 12:25:22 UTC 2015

Dear Gaetan,

I’m working at the German Digital Library, Germany’s equivalent to your DPLA.

You’ll find objects from about 90 German museums amongst 200 other cultural heritage institutions from different sectors (archives, libraries, monument agencies, …) in our portal: https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothek.de/ , each with a link to the museum’s webpage and a (machine readable) rights statement. Not all, but a lot of the museum data are also available via our API from https://api.deutsche-digitale-bibliothek.de. From libraries you’ll find quite a lot of PD marked material, CC0 for media files, though, is not very common with us. Museums, in my experience, tend to use CC licenses with the BY-component. Here the desire for attribution often mixes with legal aspects. Also there are photographers’ rights to consider.

For the last two years we have co-organized (together with Wikimedia Germany, OKF Germany and the Berlin digitization service center) Germany’s first cultural data hackathon Coding da Vinci. At http://codingdavinci.de/daten  you’ll find links, often to bulk downloads, for entire collections, too.

I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have and/or refer you to my colleagues from our museum domain desk or our legal department.

Best,
Stephan

Stephan Bartholmei
***Lesen. Hören. Wissen. Deutsche Nationalbibliothek***

--
Stephan Bartholmei
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
mailto:s.bartholmei at dnb.de