[OpenGLAM] Case study: Think big, start small, move fast - How the York Museums Trust started opening up its collection

Lieke Ploeger lieke.ploeger at okfn.org
Wed Feb 24 12:49:15 UTC 2016

Dear all,

You may remember how Martin Fell mailed our list some time ago with the
great story of how the York Museums Trust opened up their collections.
Following an interview with him, we wrote up a case study on this release,
hopefully inspiring other institutions to take steps in this direction,
because, as Martin put it: “To just say the content is not good enough for
us, and therefore no one can see it, did not sit right with me”.

The case study by OpenGLAM describes how the York Museums Trust went about
publishing their online collection, as well as the effect this had,
including different examples of the reuse of their content. By publishing
the collection fast, and allowing people to reuse their material, even
though it was not yet perfect, they managed to engage with their audience,
stimulate reuse and generate new interest in their collection and museums.
It is exactly this type of approach (think big, start small, move fast)
that Michael Edson, Associate Director/Head of Digital at United Nations
Live Museum for Humanity, identified as on of the patterns that accelerates
change in organisations last year at the Openlab workshop in December 2015
(inspiring the case study's title).

The full case study is available from:
http://openglam.org/2016/02/24/think-big-start-small-move-fast/

Best, Lieke Ploeger.

--
Lieke Ploeger

Community Manager  | skype: laploeger  |  @liekeploeger
<https://twitter.com/liekeploeger>

Open Knowledge  - See how data can change the world
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>