[OpenGLAM] public domain image release

Fournier, Melissa melissa.fournier at yale.edu
Fri Jan 8 21:14:29 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Following on Public Domain Day 2016, the Yale Center for British Art is happy to announce the release of more than 22,000 additional high-resolution images of works in the public domain through the Center's online collection.

Although most of the artworks themselves are not new entries to the public domain, in most cases this will be the first time that digital images of these works are easily and openly accessible to the world. These newly released images contain a treasure trove of over 1,700 prints after works by J. M. W. Turner, as well as works by William Blake, Thomas Rowlandson, and others.

All our open access images are available through the Center’s online collection as well as through our associated services, from display-sized jpegs to full-page TIFF downloads and JPEG2000s, allowing the images to be studied in high resolution and minute detail. The Center’s JPEG2000 files are compatible with the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF), a protocol that aims to make the world’s image repositories interoperable and accessible. (Yale is a founding member of the IIIF consortium - http://iiif.io )

More details @ http://britishart.yale.edu/news

Happy New Year!  The NYPL news is thrilling, and we look forward to seeing more and more OpenGLAM developments.

Melissa
Melissa Gold Fournier
Imaging Services and Intellectual Property
Yale Center for British Art
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280
New Haven, CT  06520
203-432-2834| britishart.yale.edu<applewebdata://6F10C3F9-75EF-4C2E-AFBE-2430BA61FC4A/britishart.yale.edu>

Sign up for YCBA e-News<http://britishart.yale.edu/e-news-sign> and search our collections online<http://bit.ly/19x96XT>.

YALE CENTER FOR BRITISH ART REOPENS
The Center will reopen<http://britishart.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/Exhibition%20Press%20Releases/Overview%20Press%20Release%281%29.pdf> on May 11, 2016.

BUILDING CONSERVATION PROJECT
The Center is currently closed for building conservation<http://bit.ly/1qAAcGv>.
Please e-mail the Reference Library<mailto:ycba.reference at yale.edu> and the Study Room<mailto:ycba.studyroom at yale.edu> to request special appointments,
which will be accommodated on a limited basis, contingent upon the construction schedule.