[open-government] systems design for FOI acts [was: "The Government of Catalonia's Open Data Project is already a reality"

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 10:39:42 UTC 2010

Katleen

Thanks for your interest in these issues

> Can these recommendations you suggested for the format of preservation of
> documents be found somewhere? I’d be very interested in reading them.

Not yet, - in the sense that I havent written them up yet, but I have a
bunch of scattered findings so far that we should publish online when we
find the resources. (mainly time to sit down and do this particular task)

I have attended a few events that discuss 'the cost of FOI' and I realised
that there is general cunfusion as to how to address the 'lets make it
inexpensive and simple' challenge, for systemic and structural reasons that
I mention below

> I also feel that more effort should be made by government to store their
> data in formats that are easily accessible and preferably machine-readable,
> but I’m not sure how far the obligation for this should go, considering the
> limited resources many of these public authorities have, and particularly
> considering the fairly limited ICT-awareness of many of the local
> authorities for instance. For any old documents, it would be too much
> burden, in my opinion, to ask the public bodies to convert these into better
> formats (or at least, it should not immediately be a priority). What could
> be required, is that an inventory is made of all existing material, so that
> at least that could be found, and that some priorities are given to the most
> interesting material to digitize and make accessible.
>

> So how do you find a balance between these issues? How have you solved it
> in your recommendations?

I hope we, you and others interested should set aside time to work on this
Maybe I ll  find out if there's slot for a session at the OGDC tomorrow.

My interest started when  I have tried to get some answers about how things
are done and why  (in relation to certain decisions to allocate public
funding to what seemed expensive unnecessary spending exercises, or in
relation to totally absurd IT decisions for example)
and FOI helped very little. Not all information is stored, cause not all
information is recorded.

The hysical digitization of paper documents themselves in short can be done
using simple metadata (keep the paper in some archive but make an electronic
record of the main components, similar to keeping books on a shelf and the
catalog in the it system), and where appropriate, maintain a scanned copy of
the document (a practice that started with fiches decades ago, for those who
remember).

Then in addition there are formatting issues, as you highlight, and
furthermore purely data storage decisions in the sense that even when the
information is recorded electronically, the databases and data schemas are
so designed to make it impossible to retrieve the information in a single
query.  For every bit of data record you are looking for, you must know the
right administrative 'code', told me the FOI lady once. We had a chat about
the system design.

I come from the 'systems science' perspective, and socio technical complex
systems.

We look at why is this database designed in such an absurd way to make the
retrieval of information (when available) so difficult and costly?

The answer is often some decision made by some organization based on some
non transparent decision making process, and some dubious reality in the IT
supply management chain.

You may have noticed that information systems are often poorly designed.
This if often because at the back of the IT supply chain dysfunctionality is
built into the system

So basically the recommendation is: lets look at the FOI Act across Europe
in relation to
organizational accountability, IT procurement transparency and participatory
governance all as one big issue that concerns everybody

Happy to talk about this in London tomorrow, and maybe set up a separate
work group or project for futures.

Cheers

Paola Di Maio