[open-government] Building an openly licenced, global history of all open government/freedom of information activities

Andrew Ecclestone andrew at ecclestone.net
Wed Aug 24 04:06:35 UTC 2011

Hi Tim,

I think you might be slightly re-inventing the wheel here, at least with regard to freedom of information regimes.

There are a number of sites that already collate this information, some with a fair amount of detail.  You could either just refer people to the sites below, or populate the spreadsheet with information found at these sites.

For example:
http://right2info.org/laws - probably one of the most comprehensive collation of statutes

http://right2info.org/cases - collates a lot of key jurisprudence

http://www.freedominfo.org/regions/ - again, pretty comprehensive and well maintained

Freedominfo.org also has an extensive FOI blogroll, here:
http://www.freedominfo.org/about-us/foia-blog-roll

http://www.ucc.ie/law/lawonline/freedom/

http://www.righttoknow.ca/en/Content/default.asp  (exclusively Canadian)

Where the spreadsheet would appear to add value is if it collates various jurisdictions open data pronouncements, policies, etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

---- Tim McNamara <tim.mcnamara at okfn.org> wrote:

about freedom of information and open government within their
countries. I believe that we can create a list of every significant
statute, court case, open data website, presidential speech or other
activity that relates to open government quite quickly. The history is
nearly empty at the moment (I've added New Zealand's Official
Information Act 1982 as a test run)

If you have two minutes, please add your country's freedom of
information law: http://bit.ly/nVeDCW.

Direct links:

Form (both are identical):
  - http://bit.ly/nVeDCW
  - https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG5HWnpGOHYtVVJLMTRLUVg1ZDlaWUE6MQ

Spreadsheet of responses (both are identical):
  - http://bit.ly/rkhOHG
  - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq_3OYelM4ZUdG5HWnpGOHYtVVJLMTRLUVg1ZDlaWUE&hl=en_GB#gid=0