[open-government] Open government data brainstorm - input welcome

Neil McEvoy neil at mcevoy.biz
Wed Jul 6 08:27:28 UTC 2011

Hey Tim

I agree that better 'how to' tools are needed, but not that many people
have been sold on the idea. I think the majority of people can't see the
Why part at all - It's a small hobbyist group writing fun apps for tram
timetables etc., so bar the hobby fun part for techies, there's no real
value to it....

I'm not saying don't yet move to the How part, rather just that the Why
part also needs continued work, to really help the movement progress.

An example of the type of business activity that can help support the
technology, check out this initial concept of the 'Open Data Value Model'
- As the name suggests a process to actually define a real business value
for open data.

http://open-government.net/2011/06/29/open-data-value-model-monetizing-the-margins/

Regards, Neil.