[open-government] Looking for examples of 'collaborative e-government services'

Ruth del Campo Bécares ruthdelcampo at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:51:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

One particular example I really like is www.oldweather.org

The Met Office and the National Maritime Museum in UK worked together
with the University of Oxford to develop this site. The Museum open up
his archive of old ship log books where weather reports were written
daily by captains. This handwritten information is now being
"crowdsourced" digitized by volunteers over the web. In less than 6
months more than 400 thousand pages of those log books have been
digitized and scientist are already using the data to understand how
was our weather 100 years ago and compare it to what is now.

I think this is a powerful example on how citizens, together with
government opening data can help the society by improving our
understanding of climate change.

Best,

Ruth