[open-government] What Does $3.2M Buy in Open Government?

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Wed Jul 17 14:37:14 UTC 2013

The FAQ was quite clear that applauding would have no effect on the judges' decisions: https://www.newschallenge.org/faq

The News Challenge is open to all; since it is based in the US, there were far more US projects proposed, so it's no surprise that, in some years, no non-US projects win. Also, since it's US-based, people running projects in the US have more opportunities to meet with people from Knight to get feedback on their idea and to clarify what Knight is looking for in a project. A lot of this information was also made available through the Knight blog, and was promoted on their Twitter account (and likely elsewhere). I felt like I had a very good understanding of the criteria and rules - you just have to dedicate the time to read their content.

James