[open-government] Advice on Open Dataset Terms & Conditions in Hong Kong

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Tue Jul 23 10:39:32 UTC 2013

Bill

Thanks for drawing these Terms and Conditions for the Hong Kong Data.One
site to our attention.  We regularly discuss whether licences for government
data conform to the Open Definition (http://opendefinition.org/) on the
od-discuss list.  Of course, Data is not Open Data unless it is Open.

I agree with you that the Terms and Conditions for the Hong Kong Data.One
site do not seem to conform with the Open Definition, and so the data could
not be considered “open data”. Particularly problematical are:

(1) the requirement for any re-distribution of the data to be “in its
original format” and “reproduced … accurately”.  This looks like a “no
derivatives” provision, which would prevent the data from being Open.

(2) the ban on the sale of the data - “sale of any Data by you is
absolutely prohibited in all circumstances”.  This conflicts with the Open
Definition, and there are a number of use cases  and business models (eg
Data Curation, service-level guaranteed APIs, information-giving
applications, Value-Added processing) where charges may well be made even
though the downstream customer could still obtain the raw data directly and
free of charge from the government.

(3) the clauses limiting “unpleasant” uses of the data - this means that
that data cannot be freely reused, and these matters should be handled
through the normal law and its enforcement rather than through licensing

The provision for the indemnity by the user to the government for the use of
data supplied by the government is also problematical.

More widely, the problem here seems to be that the terms and conditions do
not seem to envisage the sort of use cases which have been proven in other
jurisdictions to give economic and social value and to generate business
innovation.  Open Data is about reuse of data, not just access to it.  The
no-derivatives requirement and the ban on the sale of the data together
would make the development of a vibrant applications market practically
impossible.  So what are the Hong Kong Government’s other policy objectives
here?!

Regards

Andrew Stott