[open-government] A gov report calling for opendata in French "Trading Funds"

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 16:47:48 UTC 2013

Pierre

Thanks for sharing this. I also saw the G8 Open Data Action Plan at
http://www.etalab.gouv.fr/article-french-prime-minister-releases-the-g8-open-data-charter-action-plan-for-france-121016042.html

Very underwhelming. Seemed to be 'open data by default' in name, but not
really doing anything new. And no mention of company data, which is one of
the high-value datasets listed on the G8 Open Data Charter

Chris

On 6 November 2013 16:52, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou <b.ooghe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regards Citoyens's analysis on the report was published yesterday
> here:
> http://www.regardscitoyens.org/lopendata-pour-les-donnees-democratiques-cest-toujours-pas-maintenant-2/
>
> We acknowledge the important step of having such a report pointing out
> the issues of having essential democratic data that we still need to
> pay for. We strongly regret though that the government delayed its
> publication by 3 months without seazing the momentum to make real
> announces.
> In the end, instead of building up on the great insights from the
> report, nothing is announced but more delays: no action to follow the
> recommandations is planned yet, even though announces of future
> promises have been made every couple months for at least one year
> already.
>
> Even though the report points the emergency of a clear policy
> regarding these data, the government has chosen not to take any
> decision so far. It's just unbelievable.
>
> Best,
>
> Benjamin for RC
>

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Pierre Chrzanowski
> <pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there, an important report here in France has just been released
> > analysing the economical and social legitimacy of charging public data.
> >
> > One of the main finding is that French trading funds are more and more
> > losing money in selling data (-33% for the last 3 years) and in the same
> > time prevent social and economical gains for society.
> >
> > The report give recommandations for new funding models.
> > It also cites UK and Denmark among examples to follow.
> >
> > Good article on the subject here
> >
> http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2013/11/05/un-rapport-prone-la-gratuite-des-donnees-des-etablissements-publics_3508352_823448.html?xtmc=trojette&xtcr=1
> >
> > And the report there
> >
> http://www.gouvernement.fr/presse/remise-du-rapport-trojette-sur-l-ouverture-des-donnees-publiques
> >
> > (All in French)
> >

> > --
> > Pierre Chrzanowski
> > Open Knowledge Foundation France
> >
> > Mail: pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
> > Skype: pierre.chrzanowski | Twitter: @piezanowski

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture