[open-government] Call for researchers for the 3rd edition of the Open Data Barometer

Yuwei Lin yuwei.lin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 10:10:46 UTC 2015

Dear Carlos,

Many thanks for explaining your methodology.

Although 'availability of resources' often imposes constraints to the
scopes of the research project, I am not convinced that it is an
appropriate or effective device for selecting the countries you want to
study. I'd think using existing data to carry out systematic sampling is
more robust and meaningful. For example, you can use economic indicators
e.g., 'countries with the top 10 highest GDP and the 10 lowest GDP in the
world', or freedom indices e.g., Freedom House's standard-setting
comparative assessment of global political rights and civil liberties' (see
Freedom in the World 2015
https://freedomhouse.org/report-types/freedom-world#.VXa4Bq3InK4). In so
doing, you can investigate if a country with higher economic power
necessarily leads to better open data development, or if a country with
limited freedom has less interest in developing open data strategies.

I appreciate that every research project has its own limitations, and what
you are doing certainly has its values. But thought I'd point out the lack
of a solid methodology in your project for now so that we can all ponder
about more solid solutions.

Cheers.

Best wishes,
Yuwei