[Open-Legislation] Opening up South Africa's by-laws

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 13:00:04 UTC 2013

Greg,

That's great! What I particularly like is the value added to the
legislation. Is that hand-coded or partially automated?

I've tried writing some scripts to automate internal references in UK
legislation and it's a hard problem, but the result is very worthwhile.
Knowing that something is defined elsewhere in the legislation (or possibly
in other legislation) is very useful and having cross-links is useful.

Sadly, drafters of UK legislation don't use straightforward forms of
internal referencing. One has things as complicated as "the same section of
the Act mentioned at in the last paragraph of section 6 of the 2003 Act" or
words to that effect :-).

If you have any hand-written automation tools those would be very
interesting. Also if we could all come up with a framework to make it easy
to crowd-source inputting information or checking automatically created
markup that would be really great.

I notice there's a challenge to convert between UK parliamentary data (in
which I am interested) and Akoma Ntoso:

http://legislative-data-mapping.challengepost.com/?split_b&utm_expid=45049691-11.7lxXi6q-TieNolDsim8Cjg.1

Francis

2013/10/22 Greg Kempe <greg at kempe.net>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've launched a project in South Africa to make our by-laws more
> accessible. After seeing Oleg's blog post on the working group's relaunch,
> thought people on this list might be interested.
>
> The project is at http://openbylaws.org.za/ and I've describe the
> background to it on the South African OKFN blog:
> http://za.okfn.org/2013/10/21/opening-up-south-africas-by-laws/
>
> Thoughts and comments welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg