[Open-Legislation] Fwd: [euopendata] Examples of using open data on legislation?

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 08:40:23 UTC 2014

> So I am really specifically looking for examples of how open data
> concerning laws (and not law making) is being used. How are data sources
> like legislation.gov.uk (UK), wetten.nl (NL), or RIS (A) used by the
> public/organisations in applications / sites / tools / etc.?

I - and many others - are reluctant to even think about using
legislation.gov.uk as the basis of an app because the legislation is not up
to date (or at least reliably so) and that makes it very dangerous to use
without care. The problem with many forms of packaging it up is that it
will be less transparent for users that they are getting incomplete or
inaccurate data. At end 2015 this will be done and I suspect there'll be
more effort in the community to do things with it.

I do use the site privately for various things but I haven't been bothered
to use the API.

There is a commercial app that directly pulls and re-sells
legislation.gov.uk:

http://www.ilegalapps.com/

Which I and others have criticised heavily:

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2010/04/on-the-naughty-step-theres-not-an-app-for-that/

It may be being used "under the hood" in applications I don't know about.
Your best bet would be to ask John Sheridan:

https://twitter.com/johnlsheridan

who is most likely to know about the use of the UK site if anyone does.

--
Francis Davey