[Open-Legislation] Historic Statutes - Isle of Man

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 16:06:06 UTC 2014

> Yes, I met up with Antonio Acunas in London to help IOM switch from Crown
> Copyright to UK OGL.

Excellent.

> Ok, we do still have the bill at each stage and already have PDFs 10+
> years....

Bills are really interesting for historians and there's some very useful
work (that hasn't been done really) linking them up with debates and
current legislation.

> I exhaustively tested OCR systems and third party hardware and finally
> settled on an Abbyy app server (£100) with a high end Canon scanner (£6k).
>  We will definitely drag and drop all documents into an app server polled
> network folder to conver to OCR PDF before upload but the OCR quality is
> worthless when the documents are handwritten beyond the late 1800s, of
> course.

I found Abbyy pretty good when I had OCR tasks to perform so that sounds
great.

We'll have to wait for a while before we can OCR handwritten materials
before 1800.

Francis

--
Francis Davey