[Open-Legislation] French civil code on git

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Wed Apr 8 13:48:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 01:25:06PM +0200, Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou wrote:
> > ok. what you mean is reconstructing the originals from the patches. although
> > git can do that, is this the best tool to do so? reversing patches?
>
> Nope in our case it is actually the opposite : reconstructing
> "readable" amendmts (i.e. diff) from the diff between the before and
> after texts
> And git is just a bonus publication tool afterwards for it, of course
> most of the work is done with actual data

maybe i expressed myself wrongly, but this is what i meant. the point is, git
is not very helpful in this task, is it?

> > you don't have the same amendment submitted by multiple MEPs from multiple
> > parties? clearly a sign for someone coordinating stuff in the background, and
> > the submitters only being sockpuppets, who are expendable after submitting the
> > oppressive/corrupt stuff? (expendable == going back to the industry that they
> > sold out to)
>
> Of course so, and being able to trace MPs originating it is the first step

absolutely. my argument is, that git will be only a limited technical tool to
do so.

> These are different complementary works we also work on, I don't see
> why you want to oppose them.

i don't i want to find out why some people think they're worth investing time
in.

> Lobbyplag is great but without version controlled texts, it is unsufficient
> to really trace lobbies footprints in actual definitive adopted laws.

unfortunately there's another thing to dilute responsibility on eu institution
level: informal trilogues. i agree that versioning would help tracing stuff,
but the current established procedures make this quite impossible, we're at a
stage again, when info about the dataprotection regulation is based on leaks
:/ diffing (like pippi longstrings did) or patch-reversing as you do is much
more useful, until instead addressing the symptom citizens change the
underlying system.  how to create the political incentives to that are
orthogonal to putting stuff on github i believe.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt