[Open-Legislation] French civil code on git

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 14:12:11 UTC 2015

> maybe i expressed myself wrongly, but this is what i meant. the point is, git
> is not very helpful in this task, is it?
>
> absolutely. my argument is, that git will be only a limited technical tool to
> do so.

Nope indeed. As I said, imho git is only an objective here, that can
then further help for diff display, building on top of it like for
instance this <http://codecivil.bytevortex.net/#/> and so on. But the
work is separate from git

> i don't i want to find out why some people think they're worth investing time
> in.

I believe people invest time in creating the data of all versions
essentially (which you agree is useful?), not on git itself. Putting
it into git is only a good way to stock such data afterwards, but
inserting it as such takes a dozen lines of shell script once the data
exists

> unfortunately there's another thing to dilute responsibility on eu institution
> level: informal trilogues. i agree that versioning would help tracing stuff,
> but the current established procedures make this quite impossible, we're at a
> stage again, when info about the dataprotection regulation is based on leaks
> :/ diffing (like pippi longstrings did) or patch-reversing as you do is much
> more useful, until instead addressing the symptom citizens change the
> underlying system.  how to create the political incentives to that are
> orthogonal to putting stuff on github i believe.

Yep EU process is really the most annoying one to follow, trialogue is
so painful... Have you seen this paper?
http://www.kosmopolito.org/2015/03/29/project-idea-watching-trialogues/