[open-linguistics] Workshop on June 30th

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue May 31 11:20:01 UTC 2011

Hi,
I read through all the mails and tried to bring some order into the chaos:
1. I reserved a time slot on June 30th (first day) from 14:00 until 17:00.
We should discuss about filling it with good content now.

My proposal is the following:
We split the time in 2 parts, the first one will be for presentations,
maybe 2 hours:
Currently we have 4 presentation proposals:
Chiarcos -  Modelling linguistic corpora and their annotations with OWL/DL
Nordhoff - The Glottolog/Langdoc Project: Publishing a bibliographical
database of 200,000 references for 7,000 languages as Linked Data
Hellmann - NIF: NLP Interchange Format
Cimiano - Linking lexical resources and ontologies on the Semantic Web
with lemon
Tasovac - Open Data as an enabler for a globale lexicographic infrastructure
@Tasovac (I rehashed the title from your email)
@all: feel free to add/edit here: http://okcon.okfnpad.org/linguistics

For 2 hours, we could either have 6 presentations with 10+10 minutes
(presentation/discussion)
or 8 presentation with 10+5

Then we can have a part where we discuss one of the following issues:
- Incentives for publishing data: Requirement analysis for a Scientific
Journal as a forum for publishing data
- Best practices for publishing Open Linguistic Data

The second part will be a mixture between panel and Q&A. At any time
people can come to the front and make a statement and then we discuss it.
E.g.  Sebastian Nordhoff could tell about the  database journal for
linguistic typology and we try to generalize the approach.
Pablo might tell about his intentions with the Journal and how he
envisions it.

Please give me some feedback on this, so I can prepare a preliminary
workshop programme, which we can send around.

I thought about the relation between technology and Open Data and found
answers looking at Tim Berners-Lees Coffee Cup:
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
According to the cup, Open Data is the basis/enabler for technology.
Maybe we can create an upward spiral. Technology can showcase what is
possible with Open Data.
But is this already the incentive to open up more data? I think a puzzle
piece is still missing. This can be one more topic: How is it possible
to create an upward spiral with Open Data and technology?

Cheers,
Sebastian