[open-linguistics] Is this group doing anything for Open Data day?

Saul Albert saul.albert at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 17:19:49 UTC 2014

Hi Katelyn, all,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 07:53:36AM +0000, Katelyn Rogers wrote:
>    Open Data Day in London: The Open Knowledge Foundation is organising an
>    OpenData Day event in London at the Centre for Creative Collaboration,
>    details can be found on the [1]OKFN England page (where you can sign up
>    to attend) and if you would like to propose a topic, the discussion is
>    happening on the [2]OKFN EN mailing list, although I am sure you can
>    also arrive on the day and propose a topic as well! We would love to

I just updated the ODD wiki: http://wiki.opendataday.org/London2014
with a link to the sign-up page. Is there a planning wiki - or is it
Open Space style? I'd like to get some people who have similar issues to
mine: ie. lack of access to or best practice in small/ethno data sharing
so it would be helpful for me to put up a wiki page I can point them
to... I can't find a wiki page for that yet. Shall I make one on the ODD
wiki or is there one already?

Then - if I *do* get this ball rolling, Openlinguists: I have no sense
of how many (if any) of you are in London, or likely to come to this
event. Anyone? Anyone not on the list who some of you know who I should
be sure to invite?

Finally are there resources/documentation of best practice relating to
small language corpus licensing/sharing that I've missed in my list
trawl?  I've so far found some materials/ideas through the proceedings
of LDL13 and the Linked Data in Linguistic Typology session at ALT10.
However, I'm really looking for practical methods for licensing and
sharing data for ethnographers / linguists / anthropologists /
sociologists and other users of qualitative video/audio data and
transcripts. These issues overlap with LOD and big data, but at the
moment in my experience the problems are considerably lower level.

Cheers,

Saul.

--
phone: us: +1(323)642-8943 | uk: +44(0)7941255210 / +44(0)2071007915
skype:saulalbert | @saul | http://saulalbert.net