[open-literature] Further work on openletters / opencorrespondence.org

Ben O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Wed May 5 16:51:45 UTC 2010

I've had a quick browse of the RDF - I'm not sure that the serialisation
is what you are intending. Are you really trying to use rdf:ID, or are
you aiming to give URI's to things?

I think this is a representative chunk of the RDF as it stands:

<text:uri
rdf:ID="http://austgate.co.uk/dickens/letter.php?recipient=46mrgeorgecattermole">46mrgeorgecattermole</text:uri>
<dc:author>Charles Dickens</dc:author>
<text:Correspondent
rdf:ID="http://austgate.co.uk/dickens/rdf.php?type=correspondent&correspondent=mr.georgecattermole">Mr. George Cattermole</text:Correspondent>
<text:referredPerson>Lord George Gordon</text:referredPerson>
<text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
<text:referredPerson>Mr Chester</text:referredPerson>
<text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
<text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
<text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
<text:referredPerson>Master Humphrey</text:referredPerson>
<date>1841</date>

(Eg it currently doesn't validate: http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/)

I think what you mean is:

<rdf:Description
rdf:about="http://austgate.co.uk/dickens/letter.php?recipient=46mrgeorgecattermole">
rdf:resource="http://austgate.co.uk/dickens/rdf.php?type=correspondent&correspondent=mr.georgecattermole"/>
  <text:referredPerson>Lord George Gordon</text:referredPerson>
  <text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
  <text:referredPerson>Mr Chester</text:referredPerson>
  <text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
  <text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
  <text:referredPerson>Mr Haredale</text:referredPerson>
  <text:referredPerson>Master Humphrey</text:referredPerson>
  <dc:date>1841</dc:date>
</rdf:Description>

Note that the URIs above are likely not to be very valid:
eg:
http://austgate.co.uk/dickens/letter.php?recipient=46mrgeorgecattermole

---> a better uri for this might be --->

http://austgate.co.uk/dickens/correspondents/46mrgeorgecattermole
(RDF resource per correspondent)
or
http://austgate.co.uk/dickens/correspondents#46mrgeorgecattermole
(RDF resource with all the correspondents info in)

There is a tedious and long-debated issue over the endings of uris which
you can look into if you want (google httpRange-14) but there's a lot of
discourse on it.

There are RDF parsers and constructors built into the rdflib library -
it's a lot easier to create valid and parsable RDF if you use that.

I've written a wrapper that might make it easier?

http://pastebin.com/XWj6E4cM

Ben