[open-literature] Text Camp

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 6 10:03:11 UTC 2011

Hiya,

I noticed in the upcoming Text Camp you were thinking of using the
released ECCO texts.  Since ECCO and EEBO-TCP use a TEI-based variant
SGML we get called on occasionally to transform this to modern TEI P5
XML for research projects. As such we have developed transformations for
this that work pretty well.

We have already transformed the ECCO texts not only to TEI P5 XML but
also to ePub.  We have been creating ePubs for some time for our (free)
iTunesU releases, but now are working TEI to multimedia EPub
conversations with things like facing page images or having lines of
poetry highlighted and read aloud to you.

Because we use TEI as a pivot format for so many things we have also
produced a RESTful web service (and web frontend) called OxGarage which
does pipelined document format transformations often using it as a pivot
format.

Since where possible we tend to license things with the most open
licence we can, I thought I would mention these things in case they were
of any help.

ECCO texts, TEI ODD meta-schema and generated RNG schema, and XSLT2
transformation at:
	http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ecco/
OxGarage at:
	http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/oxgarage/
with its source at:
	http://enrich-ege.sourceforge.net/
CC-licensed Podcasts:
	http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/openspires.html

Sorry that I can't be there on the 13th.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Manager of InfoDev,
Oxford University Computing Services,