[open-literature] Spreading Annotation

James Harriman-Smith james.harriman-smith at okfn.org
Tue Jul 12 10:23:55 UTC 2011

Dear All,

I'm sure many of you know this already, but it is now possible to annotate
any webpage with your own comments. Here's how to do it in less than 5min:

1 - Visit www.annotateit.org and click on 'Sign up >>'
2 - Follow the instructions to install the bookmarklet
3 - Visit a page you want to annotate, any page at all, and click the
annotateit button in your bookmark toolbar
4 - Highlight text and click the icon that appears, just as in Open
Shakespeare

As this can be applied to any website, I'm thinking of spreading the word by
writing to some sites that gather lots of texts by a single author,
proposing that they use the annotator as a way of building an online
community. For the moment I'd like to concentrate on science fiction and
fantasy, purely because such genres tend to have a stronger online presence.
The following, public domain authors come to mind, but does anyone else have
any suggestions? (not necessarily scifi / fantasy)

Edgar Allan Poe
H G Wells
H P Lovecraft
Arthur Conan Doyle