[Open-science-nl] Open Science Feedback to cOAlition S

Sander van der Waal sander.vanderwaal at okfn.org
Mon Feb 11 08:56:31 UTC 2019

Hi Egon and Jon,

Great initiative and I signed the form just now. I wanted to add two
comments / points for discussion:

- One piece of feedback we often had over the years on the term 'Open
Science' was that those in eg. the Humanities felt this didn't apply to
them. Mostly because of the distinction between the 'sciences' and
'humanities' which is stronger in English terminology than eg in Dutch -
where you could talk about 'open wetenschap'. Have you considered a move to
advocating about a more inclusive umbrella term like 'Open Research'?

- You make a point (7) about licensing; this is where we would reference
the Open Definition (http://opendefinition.org/ ) as a way of defining
whether or not a license is 'open'. It includes BY and SA clauses, but not
NC/ND. Would this form a good basis on what to advocate for?

Sorry if I'm a little late to the party - have been on holiday until today.

Best, Sander

*Sander van der Waal Head of Programmes  |  @sandervdwaal
<https://twitter.com/sandervdwaal>    |   +31615062051*

*Open Knowledge International <http://okfn.org/>Empowering through Open