[open-science-ox] Oxford Open Science and Open Science Training

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Wed Oct 8 11:21:53 UTC 2014

Hi All

At the Oxford Open Science meeting on reproducibility several ideas came
out around training of students and training for
lecturers/tutors/supervisors in encouraging use of digital tools for open
and reproducible research, particularly outside MPLS and Medical Sciences
where some support exists but is still limited. Actions and ideas include:

1) Organise a Software Carpentry course and try to make this a recurring
training opportunity by increasing the number of SW trainers in Oxford.
http://software-carpentry.org/

2) Put together a proposal for the latest round of FOSTER funding to run an
event or series of events in Oxford on open science training (this could be
delivered to students or as a 'train the trainer' activity and covers a
broad range of topics.
http://www.fosteropenscience.eu/project/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:project-training-call-2015&catid=8&Itemid=304

3) Run a group for teaching and research staff in the University interested
in the best ways of training skills for open science and reproducibility.

4) Find out who to speak to about getting this on the University radar for
teaching and especially with the DTCs (see the Open Science Training
Initiative piloted in Oxford by Sophie Kay as an example)
http://opensciencetraining.com/

Comment on the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/oxopensci/)
or reply to me if you're interested in any of these suggestions or if you
have further ones and we can start planning ahead for 2015!

Jenny