[open-science] Toward tool support for tracking data citations

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 21:08:56 UTC 2010

First, many thanks for the work you have put in. It's going to take a lot of
community effort and I hope peolple can join in.

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Heather Piwowar <hpiwowar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi open science list,
>
> Since citations to datasets and other nontraditional research products is a
> subject near and dear to our hearts, I wanted to spread the word about a
> just-launched open document: A Community Hub<https://docs2.google.com/document/d/1mHYlu3IU3q6RaJfkxyNZQcykYMB-iak4N2Gd3fNgd2Q/edit?hl=en#>
>  for* improving tool support for tracking citations to nontraditional
> products*.
>
> One immediate problem is that these resources must be identified. In UKPMC
and other projects people have been looking at DataCite. If you go beyond
data how do you measure it? For example our software has had >>200,000
downloads (measured by Microsoft). I probably trust this figure in general
but I have no idea about it in detail. Would software come under this?
accesses to web services?

> As you may know, it is not currently possible<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/tracking-dataset-citations-using-common-citation-tracking-tools-doesnt-work/> to
> track citations to datasets through Scopus and ISI Web of Science, even if
> the datasets have DOIs or other recognized identifiers.   The purpose of
> this hub is to provide:
>
>    - a central meeting ground for the many individuals and organizations
>    interested in this issue
>    - a living document that captures current unmet needs
>    - an area to inventory and develop initiatives to encourage vendors to
>    address these issues as soon as possible
>
> I would prefer to see citations of all sorts made open rather than working
to help vendors produce closed products.  But I'm afraid I have OKF-disease
at present. I want everything open. David Shotton ("David Shotton"
<david.shotton AT zoo DOTox DOT ac DOTuk,  is working on Open citations -
suggest you contact him

> Please check it out<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mHYlu3IU3q6RaJfkxyNZQcykYMB-iak4N2Gd3fNgd2Q/edit?hl=en>,
> add what you know, and send the link around to others you know who care
> about this issue so that we can achieve data citation tracking through
> Scopus and Web of Science ASAP.

My concern is that the collection of metrics by commercial companies is
opaque and hence potentially flawed. Moreover you cannot use these data for
schmolarly research - or if you do you are not allowed to publissh the
results. So I would be concerned about helping to perpetuate this. I can
give more info by skype.

P.